Under Rusty’s leadership, we have seen an 8-fold increase in small-dollar contributions, robust support for local campaigns to build our bench, and an organizing strategy to fight the Republican recall of our Governor.
Fueling our grassroots campaigns.
- In 2020, Rusty raised more than $2 million in small-dollar donor contributions – more than 8 times the amount raised in previous cycles.
- These contributions are essential to maximizing the Party’s direct support to our endorsed candidates and causes.
- Invested in our Party’s internal and external fundraising infrastructure to connect directly with even more grassroots donors in the coming months and years.
Engaging, educating & empowering Democrats in California and across the nation.
- Our Party executed a multi-million dollar statewide organizing campaign in partnership with County Committees, Democratic Clubs, grassroots organizations and allies.
- The campaign recruited and trained more than 57,000 volunteers to make phone calls, send text messages, and mail postcards to millions of voters in the battleground districts of California and in swing states across the country.
Embracing our Party’s diversity.
- Led by our Party’s first Latina Executive Director, our team is 68% women, 68% people of color, and 58% are under the age of 35.
- In addition, our Standing Committees are 54% women, 60% delegates of color, 21% are members of the LGBTQ+ community, 24% are under the age of 35, and 16% are delegates with a disability. We have also expanded access to more young Democrats and undocumented Californians to engage in our Party’s work.
An inclusive, respectful, and safe space for all.
- We have taken the steps to build a Party dedicated to our shared values of respect and dignity. Our new Code of Conduct – one of the first of its kind and strongest in the nation – includes for an Independent Ombudsperson and a comprehensive system to ensure our Party continues to be an inclusive, respectful, and a safe space for all.
Building our Democratic Bench
- Supporting local candidates with much-needed resources to build our local bench. In 2020, the Party’s coordinated campaign supported local candidates in tight races and helped get them over the finish line – like Ventura County Supervisor Carmen Ramirez.
- In 2021 we worked with the Orange County Democrats to help elect Katrina Foley – the first Democratic woman ever elected to the Orange County Board of Supervisors.
Standing strong against the Republican Recall of Governor Newsom
- The Party unequivocally opposes the recall of Governor Newsom and stands prepared to defeat this cynical ploy to disrupt California’s progress.
- The Party has already made an initial $250,000 donation – matching that of the National Republican Party – to defeat the Republican recall.
- CADEM has already mobilized our statewide infrastructure and grassroots leadership to engage in this important effort.
In just 18 short months, we have begun to write a new chapter in our Party’s history by revitalizing our grassroots leadership and investing in our infrastructure to organize in every region across California. Together, we can continue to build upon this progress, elect even more Democrats, and make real change to improve the lives of all Californians.