LGBTQ elected officials and community leaders from across the Golden State endorse Rusty Hicks for Chair of the California Democratic Party citing his commitment to civil rights and social justice for the LGBTQ community by helping elect pro-equality candidates.
“Rusty Hicks has been a strong ally of the LGBTQ community and we’re proud to endorse him for California Democratic Party Chair,” said Lester Aponte, Stonewall Democratic Club President. “Rusty is the leader that will unite and strengthen our Party to fight against Donald Trump’s antigay agenda that promotes hate and bigotry against our community. We urge CDP delegates to join us and vote Rusty Hicks for State Chair.”
“Rusty Hicks has earned my enthusiastic support for California Democratic Party Chair,” said Rick Zbur, Equality California President. “Rusty has been a steadfast partner of Equality California, working hard to elect pro-equality progressive candidates up and down the ballot. We need a Chair who knows how to lead our Party to victory in 2020 and beyond.”
“Throughout his career and as President of the LA County Federation of Labor, Rusty has fought to make California work for all working families. I strongly believe we need a California Democratic Party Chair who lives and breathes the organizing necessary to win a $15 minimum wage—a leader who fights for the rights of all workers, from LGBTQ workers, to formerly incarcerated workers—in order to give our families an opportunity to thrive. I’m proud to endorse Rusty Hicks for California Democratic Party Chair!” – Justine Gonzalez, LGTBQ Activist.
“I’m proud to have the support of LGBTQ leaders and trailblazers that lead the fight for equality for all Californians,” said Rusty Hicks. “As Chair of the California Democratic Party, I will ensure that our state’s diverse communities are reflected in our leadership. Together we will protect our civil rights by supporting progressive candidates that will fight for LGBTQ equality.”
Rusty currently serves as President of the Los Angeles County Federation of Labor, which is comprised of more than 300 local unions that represent 800,000 workers. At the LA Fed, Rusty increased the diversity of its leadership. He helped lead the “Fight for 15” campaign first in LA then statewide, he created a jobs training program for formerly incarcerated men and women and place them in union jobs, he advocates “Medicare for All” including for undocumented immigrants, and Rusty helped strengthen worker protections against sexual harassment and assault.
LGBTQ endorsements for Rusty Hicks include (In Alphabetical Order):
- Lester Aponte, President, Stonewall Democratic Club
- Mike Bonin, LA City Councilman
- Christopher Bowen, President Stonewall Young Democrats
- Jess Durfee, Democratic National Committee member
- John Erickson, Stonewall Democratic Club
- Ron Galperin, LA City Controller
- Robert Garcia, Mayor of Long Beach
- Mark Gonzalez, Chair, LACDP
- Justine Gonzalez, Stonewall Democratic Club
- Jeff LeTourneau, Vice Chair, Orange County Democratic Party
- Katie Hill, Congresswoman
- Sheila Kuehl, LA County Supervisor
- Ricardo Lara, CA Insurance Commissioner
- Torie Osborn, Courage Campaign and Community Leader
- Jeffrey Prang, LA County Assessor
- Denise Penn, Vice Chair, CDP LGBTQ Caucus
- Ari Ruiz, Vice President, Stonewall Young Democrats
- Gabriel Quinto, El Cerrito City Councilman
- Rick Zbur, President, Equality California
For a full list of supporters, please visit https://rustyhicks.org/supporters/.The election for CDP Chair will be held at this year’s state party convention, May 31-June 2 at the Moscone Center in San Francisco.